Lutherans/Trinity

Question
I have a question relating to some verses I have read. I was hoping you could provide an answer for me

Can you please explain just who Jesus is in relation to God.  Is he the Almighty, is one   individual that makes up the Almighty, if he is one of three individual that makes up the Almighty, Are he and The Father and the Holy Ghost all considered to be Gods in their own right. Or is Jesus one aspect of  the One God.

So when we read God in the Bible just who is that referring to?  This has to do with the following verses as they  seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,

Thank you for your time

Answer
Brenton,

Thanks for your question.  The God described in the Bible is one God who eternally exists as three persons--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  These persons are not three parts of a single god or three separate Gods.  While each of the three persons is fully God, their existence is united in a single essence as God.  This existence is referred to as a mystery called the Trinity, which is more fully explained in the Athanasian Creed, an ancient confession of the Church, which can be found at:  http://www.wels.net/what-we-believe/statements-beliefs/athanasian-creed

When the Bible uses the word "God," it sometimes refers to the trinity collectively, while at other times, it refers only to the Father, and context dictates which is meant.  Sometimes it is clear because terms like "God the Father" or "God the Son" are used.  At other times, it is made clear by the relationship of the word to other words for the persons (Jesus, Holy Spirit, etc.) elsewhere in the sentence.  

When it comes to Jesus, He is equal to the Father in terms of His divinity, while being less than the Father in terms of His humanity, so it is true both that He is God, while at the same time also true that He has a God.  Jesus poses a similar problem to the Pharisees when He speaks of Himself as David's son, but also David's Lord.  This can be true because Jesus is fully God and fully human, (not half god and half human or sometimes god and sometimes human) yet remains only one person.  

Both here and with the Trinity, the math does not add up, but it remains the teaching of Scripture.  St. Augustine explained this by saying that the incomprehensible nature of God was evidence that He exists, because a God we could fully understand would be a god who was created by a human mind, but since He is beyond our understanding he could not have been a human invention.  

Lutherans

Rev. Jason P. Peterson