WAS MARTIN LUTHER CONFIRMED A LUTHERAN..i am sure he was confirmed in the catholic faith...

Martin Luther was born into a Roman Catholic family in 15th century Germany, and therefore received all the Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church (including Baptism, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Eucharist, and Ordination) through the time of his excommunication.  Therefore he would have been confirmed as a Roman Catholic.  

The Lutheran church did not exist at the time of Martin Luther.  As he did not desire to leave the Roman Catholic church, but rather to reform it from within, he was excommunicated rather than leaving in protest.  During his lifetime, the Reformers were known as "Evangelicals," and the name Lutheran was applied to them by their Roman Catholic opponents as an insult - much like the name "Christian" began as a Jewish insult against followers of Jesus Christ.    

From what I have been told, the Reformers did not practice confirmation during the lifetime of Luther or during the first generation after the Reformation, and it was only reintroduced to Lutheran circles in a later generation.  Instead, they communed children based on their readiness to receive the Sacrament, and they received adults who confessed their agreement with Reformation teachings.  Therefore, Luther would not have been "confirmed" into a Lutheran congregation, but rather continued His ministry apart from the Roman Church after His excommunication.  

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding the beliefs and practices Lutheran Christians, especially questions comparing Lutherans with other Christian denominations or questions which contrast between various kinds of Lutherans. I am especially familiar with the more conservative Lutheran denominations (LCMS, ELS, WELS, etc.). I also take a great interest in examining new Christian movements and popular trends in Christianity from a Lutheran perspective. In addition, I can answer most questions about the original Greek text of the New Testament and its meaning, as well as questions regarding liturgy, evangelism, and preaching. A special area of interest in my ministry is race track chaplaincy/ministry, and I would love to provide information and guidance for anyone interested in this area.

I have been a pastor in the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for the past six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and as Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway in Algona, IA. I also write as a religion columnist for two local newspapers.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)