I received an e-mail from my friend requesting if I would host five archangels into my home for five days.  Being Lutheran, not sure whether this would be favourable in the church's view.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Thanks for your question.  From your brief description, this sounds like those sort of emails that are forwarded around by people for inspirational purposes.  I've seen many similar messages, but unfortunately, these are more superstition than truth.

I've previously written an overview of angels at:

Specific to the information in your question, I would respond with the following reasons this would not be consistent with a Scriptural (i.e. Lutheran) understanding of angels:

1.  Angels are spiritual beings which do not have physical needs such as food or lodging.
2.  Angels come and go solely according to the will of God and do not require a host or anyone's invitation or acceptance to do so.  
3.  If this is intended to be related to Hebrews 13:2, where it speaks of people unknowingly showing hospitality to "angels," it is likely a misunderstanding of that verse.  In Greek, the word angelos, which we transliterate as "angel" simply means messenger.  Sometimes this refers to God's supernatural messengers, but other times it refers to other more ordinary messengers.  In this case, I believe the author of Hebrews is using the term to refer to travelling pastors (messengers, in that they preach Christ's message) who have received hospitality from Christians during their travels.  

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding the beliefs and practices Lutheran Christians, especially questions comparing Lutherans with other Christian denominations or questions which contrast between various kinds of Lutherans. I am especially familiar with the more conservative Lutheran denominations (LCMS, ELS, WELS, etc.). I also take a great interest in examining new Christian movements and popular trends in Christianity from a Lutheran perspective. In addition, I can answer most questions about the original Greek text of the New Testament and its meaning, as well as questions regarding liturgy, evangelism, and preaching. A special area of interest in my ministry is race track chaplaincy/ministry, and I would love to provide information and guidance for anyone interested in this area.

I have been a pastor in the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for the past six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and as Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway in Algona, IA. I also write as a religion columnist for two local newspapers.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)