Lutherans/Concerning sin against holy ghost

Question
I have been going through a tremendous amount of stress lately. I am a LCMS Lutheran. My concern is that in the past, I have threatened to rely on good luck charms rather than God, threatening to hand my life to Satan out of frustration, and believing that I am Satan-possessed. I am VERY sorry for these sins and repent of these sins. I'm very frightened and concerned that I committed the unpardonable sin against the Holy Ghost. My own LCMS pastor won't help me with my spiritual issues. May God bless you always, David Long

Answer
David,

Thanks for your question.  I'm sorry to hear you have been facing this trouble.  

This is actually a very common question, and I recall answering it a few times previously here on allexperts.com.  You may be able to find a longer answer by searching for one of those previous answers.  

The very short answer is that the sin Jesus speaks of is persistent rejection of the Gospel - or breaking the First Commandment.  The sin of unbelief (not doubt or questioning, but rather consciously rejecting Jesus) renders all other sins unforgivable for as long as it continues to be committed, but upon trusting Jesus all sins are forgiven, even prior unbelief.  So even though this sin renders all other sins unforgiven, it only becomes permanently unforgivable upon death.  

I also wrote on this in a little greater length, addressing the particular details of Jesus' words in Matthew, for a local newspaper a few years back, and that article can be found at:

http://lutheranreformission.blogspot.com/2010/10/unforgivable-sin.html

Lutherans

Rev. Jason P. Peterson