Lyme Disease/Lyme IV PICC

Igot lymes,i had the bells palsy,and have stomach pain and is bloated,it feels all tight around waist.I been on antibotics for 5 weeks the bells palsy went away but not the stomach problems.They want to give me a iv picc to put in antibotics now.Do you think that will help?
         thank jim

Dear Jim, the advantage to having IV antibiotics, is that it treats the Lyme bacteria much more aggressively because it hits your blood stream immediately and doesn't have to go through your stomach like oral antibiotics. If your doctors feel that you need to be on IV antibiotics, then you are getting a much faster delivery system of the abx than having to take them by pill form. Plus it won't aggravate your stomach.

I actually know MANY people who have PICC lines inserted in their arms and they have done very well. I'm assuming they are going to have a home health nurse come help you with it? The biggest downside to having a PICC is that you will have to be VERY careful when taking a shower - you can't get it wet - however, there are products you can buy (depending on how long you have the PICC) or some people just wrap it with Saran Wrap.

But to answer your question, do I think it will help? If your doctors feel you need a PICC line, they wouldn't order that unless they feel the need to treat you more aggressively, (or they want to bypass your stomach) and that is a GOOD thing. When I began IV antibiotics, (I never had a PICC, just went in 3 days a week for IV treatments) I started showing improvement within 5 weeks and it was a HUGE improvement from where I was.

I wish you the best and you may want to Google "PICC lines for Lyme" to get tips on how other people have managed with their PICC lines. (Re: taking showers, keeping it clean, avoiding infection, etc.)

I wish you the BEST of luck, Jim and it sounds like you are lucky enough to have some good doctors. Feel free to stay in touch - am hoping you start feeling better soon.

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.