Lyme Disease/lyme symptoms

i hope you can help me. my daughter is 22 yrs old and i beleive she has lyme disease. she is having panic attacks shortness of breath dizziness sweating all the signs that i am seeing on the internet. the doctor she is seeing said they will not test her for it because they dont beleive she has it. they just want her to see a shrink. im not buying it she is a very smart and has all her wits. i just dont know what to do for her. i need some help. her husband processes alot of deer and she helps him with it.i am truely at wits end trying to help her but no one listens. can you give us some advice.

Julie - Lyme Disease can be a devastating illness - especially when it is not treated right away. If it were my daughter, and knowing what I do about LD, I would find another doctor IMMEDIATELY and ask them to test her for Lyme Disease. If possible, I would try and find an LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) who understands the symptoms of Lyme and knows how to diagnose and treat. The fact that you are in New York already raises red flags with me (There is a VERY high number of Lyme patients in NY) but at the same time, there are also more Lyme Literate doctors in that state, so you will have a better chance of finding a good one.

Also one other thing. When you DO find an LLMD, ask him/her to use Igenex Labs in Palo Alto, CA to send your daughter's Lyme test to. They are one of the top Lyme Disease labs in the country and you have a much better chance of getting an ACCURATE test rather than some other labs who have much higher rates of false negatives.

You can try the following:

1) “Seeking a Physician” Forum: You can get a custom referral to an LLMD from When you reach the homepage, click on “Flash Discussion,” and then click on “Seeking a Doctor.” You will be asked to provide your city, state, and contact information, and a forum member will contact you with a physician referral.

2) Lyme Disease Association Doctor Referral Service: Visit and click on “Doctor Referral.” You will be asked for your contact information and a doctor referral will be provided.

3) International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS). Contacting ILADS is also a method for getting a physician referral. Use their website: or call them at 301-263-1080. ILADS is the "gatekeeper" for most Lyme-literate physicians in the USA.

Also Julie, I'd like to refer you to Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines for Lyme:
Go to page 9 and see how many other symptoms your daughter has had. There may be some that you didn't connect with her possibly having Lyme.

For your doctor to refuse to even TEST her, is ridiculous - especially since she is in close proximity to deer. Unfortunately he has his mind made up and for him to recommend a mental health doctor without ruling out any other physical causes, is absolutely wrong. I can't tell you how many Lyme patients (including myself) were told by one of the many doctors we've seen that we should see a "psychiatrist". Only to find out later that we tested positive for Lyme and we could have been getting treated for Lyme during all that time that was wasted.

So...hang in there and get your daughter to a doctor who is TRAINED in Lyme Disease. At least you can find out whether or not she has it and then you can take it from there with the help of the RIGHT doctor.

I wish you the best Julie!

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.