Lyme Disease/How can I find a Lyme Disease Doctor in Pa.

I have been sick for a year,was very active until last dec when I was hospitalized for stroke like symptoms. Since then I have been through a nightmare of Dr and given steroid and shots for a disc that isn't even bad. I've been hospitalized 3 times once not being able to walk. I have sever pain in my head face and ear, I get numb and my vision and hearing are bad. I saw an infectious disease Dr and she suspects Lyme in my nervous system and I have been tested 3 times and had 2 positive titers and she wants to wait 6 wks and test again. I'm a single mom raising 2 kids on my Own, I don't get paid holidays or sick days and going through this and all these Dr is adding up.The infectious disease Dr said she would consider treating me if another positive. I'm afraid of letting this keep going. No one understands and most Dr look at me like I'm crazy. I just need to find a Dr that will help me so i can try to have my life back and be the mom my kids need. Do you know of any Lyme Dr near Pittsburgh, pa?  thank you for your time.

Hi MaryBeth! So sorry it's taken me a while to respond - I've been quite sick for the past few weeks so I have JUST now been able to start answering the many All Experts questions that have come in!

I'm also sorry to hear about everything you've gone through. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be in your position - I was once there too. I had seen a dozen doctors and wasn't getting anywhere until I FINALLY found a wonderful Lyme Literate MD that has helped me SO much!

If you go to then click on FLASH DISCUSSION on the left side, it will take you to a page where you can post your request under SEEKING DOCTORS. This is the best way to get started. If you are still having problems finding a name after going this route, please let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you.

I'm sending you lots of good healing thoughts and please let me know if you're able to find a good LLMD!

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.