Lyme Disease/Lyme Disease

Question
Dear Bonni,3 years ago i had randomly swollen glands for about 8 months,fatigue and pneumonia with no clinical symptoms.antibodies were really high.Started with moving pain in my head,is now in my whole body except joints although i do get constant stinging in my hips.My face also stings and i have felt burning in my eyes.Eyesight getting worse.Had tests for hepitas and lupus,all negative.My doctor recently started me on doxy when i insisted although i dont think he believes it could be Lyme disease.I did have a herx reaction to antibiotics for about 5 days.Pain is contiuing,but i have had spells in between were it calms down apart from my ribs which nip like mad.I live in Scotland were there is a massive ignorance about Lyme Disease.Do you think i do have it?.Greatful for any advice

Answer
Dear Linda,
Thank you for writing, and I apologize for the delay in responding. Your symptoms ARE those that present with Lyme, but unfortunately they are indicative of other conditions as well. This is why Lyme Disease is so frustrating because it can mimic other diseases and vice versa.

The first thing you need to do is get tested for Lyme through a lab like Igenex in Palo Alto, CA. I believe that your blood can be shipped overseas thru Express mail - I would visit their website for more details. There are other labs that can test for Lyme and other co-infections, but Igenex is the best in the U.S. I'm not familiar with any in Europe, but it's possible there may be some.

Five days of Doxycycline is not going to cure Lyme - I wish your doctor had given you at least a 28 day supply. That's the bare minimum according to IDSA guidelines which themselves are outdated and inaccurate. I would urge you to do two things: Watch the film "Under Our Skin" - it's available online to watch for free or you can view it on Netflix Instant Watch (not sure if you get that there!)

Yes there is a lot of ignorance about Lyme Disease in Europe, however, it IS becoming more and more of a health issue and there are actually many researchers in Germany and I believe Holland, who are doing studies on it. The problem is, that technically "Lyme Disease" comes from the bacteria "Borrelia Burgdorferi" which is a different strain than the ones showing up in Europe. So if they test you to see if you have antibodies to the Lyme bacteria, it's going to come out negative. What you would need to do is have your blood tested by a lab that tests for the European strain.

Here is a link to MDL labs (which is another good testing facility I believe on the East Coast of the U.S.) http://www.mdlab.com/pdf/lyme_disease_testing.pdf.
This document talks about the strains in Europe which are: Borrelia garinii and Borrelia afzelii.

Some more good reading about Lyme treatment can be found by one of the top Lyme doctors in our country, Dr. Burrascano. Go to http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf to read his Guidelines for Treatment which is used by all the well trained Lyme doctors in the United States. If you are unable to find a trained Lyme doctor in your area, you may wish to consider trying a naturopathic approach which has been found to cure some cases of Lyme. Many herbs and supplements act as natural antibiotics (such as Grapefruit Seed Extract and even Coconut Oil!) - for more information on this, I would suggest reading Stephen Buhner's book "Healing Lyme". It is an excellent book and many people use a combination of Buhner's methods on top of traditional antibiotics.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some direction to go in. Above all, I urge you to see the film "Under Our Skin" - it will answer SO many questions you probably have about Lyme Disease and the more educated you are about it, the better you can be your own advocate.

My very best wishes for your healing,
Bonni  

Lyme Disease

Bonni