Lyme Disease/Possible Lyme?

Question
Hi Bonni,

I saw your posts in AllExperts and was hoping to ask you a quick question.

In the last four months I seem to have developed a lot of nerve pain in my hands, numbness, tingling, and joint stiffness & pain. One doctor thought it was carpal tunnel, the second Rheumatoid Arthritis. Then most of the symptoms went away for a few weeks, also while I was doing a natural detox treatment.

Because I have chronic kidney disease I sometimes have fatigue although it seems to be much worse recently. And it seems like other nervous system effects in general like feeling weak and kind of "toxic" most of the time.

I haven't had too many tests yet (CRP is basically negative) but I was wondering if you think it would be valuable to test for lyme. I can get the basic test in Canada but it sounds like you usually need to get the more extensive testing to be clear on it.

All of the nerve and joint pain seems to have come on fairly suddenly, and did coincide with a period of camping on the Sunshine Coast of BC.

I never had anything that I knew to be a tick bite that I've seen, but the level of symptoms seems a bit intense and sudden.

Also do you think this clinic seems specialized enough in lyme testing & treatment? http://www.pannaturopathic.com/Index.html

with Thanks,

Ong Kar

Answer
Dear Ong,
Thank you for writing. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Diagnosing Lyme Disease can be tricky because many of the symptoms can be indicative of other conditions and conversely, other diseases may present symptoms which turn out to be Lyme Disease. The symptoms you mentioned:

". . . nerve pain in hands, numbness, tingling, and joint stiffness & pain" ARE some of the many symptoms of Lyme Disease. However, there are other factors which should be considered: Did you experience flu like symptoms in the beginning? Are you fatigued more often and just feel "unwell" all the time? Were you (or have you ever been) in a Lyme endemic area? Did you ever develop the tell tale "bullseye rash" (many Lyme Disease patients don't, so this doesn't rule it out if you didn't develop one)

Because you have a chronic kidney disease, it does complicate matters because there may be other conditions causing these symptoms.

I'd like to share a few resources which may help you learn more about Lyme Disease. The number one link that I encourage people to read is Dr. Burrascano's Lyme Treatment Guidelines. Pay special attention to page 9 and see how many other symptoms you may have experienced and not made a connection. You can view this at: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

You mentioned that you had a CRP test. If it is in the higher than normal range, this can indicate inflammation in the body which many Lyme patients experience, however, it's not an absolute indicator of Lyme - in fact, my CRP was within normal ranges in the very beginning. What you really need is to have a Western Blot test which will test your blood for antibodies that have formed in response to fighting off the bacteria that causes Lyme, called Borrelia Burgdorferi. Unfortunately many local labs use different testing methods and therefore can give people a false negative when in fact, they DO have Lyme Disease.

For this reason, I would HIGHLY recommend that you talk to your doctor and ask him/her if they would be willing to draw your blood and send it to Igenex Labs in Palo Alto, CA. This is one of the top Lyme testing labs in the country and for your own peace of mind, I would suggest going this route if you do decide to get tested for Lyme Disease. You can begin the process by calling Igenex and request that they send you a free testing kit which you would then bring to your doctor. It contains all the specific vials for the blood draw as well as explicit instructions on how to handle the specimen and Fed Ex it to Igenex Labs.

If you need assistance in paying for your Lyme tests, you may want to visit http://www.lymetap.com/ to see if you are eligible for help. In many cases, they can reimburse you up to 75% of the cost of the tests if you qualify.

To complicate matters even further, there are several co-infections (which you can read about in Burrascano's Guidelines) that have to be tested separately from the Lyme Western Blot and can cause many of the same symptoms of Lyme.

The fact that your nerve and joint pain seems to have started suddenly and after a camping trip, does raise some red flags and I think that you are right to be concerned. If indeed you DO have Lyme Disease, the longer you go without treatment, the higher the chances you have of developing a chronic Lyme condition which in some cases can take years to recover from. I speak from personal experience on that one!

If you need assistance finding a doctor who is trained in treating Lyme Disease, I would suggest going to www.lymenet.org and clicking on FLASH DISCUSSION. There you will be able to post a request for an LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) in your area and someone should get back to you. I have spoken to many people with Lyme in Canada so I KNOW that there IS Lyme Disease in that country as well.

Finally, you asked about the clinic:  http://www.pannaturopathic.com/Index.html. Unfortunately I am not familiar with this clinic so I couldn't give you an educated opinion about it, but you may want to post a question about it on the FLASH DISCUSSION board at the site I mentioned above. Perhaps one of the members of the forum may have heard of it.

I know that I didn't really provide you with any concrete answers, but I do hope that at least I've given you some direction to go in. If there is one thing I've learned from having Lyme Disease is that if you KNOW that something doesn't feel right with your body, then TRUST your instincts! And unfortunately, because there is so much misinformation about Lyme, you may encounter resistance with some mainstream primary doctors who will tell you that Lyme Disease is rare, or there is no Lyme Disease in your area, or if they DO treat you, they may give you  as little as 10 days of antibiotics and pronounce you cured. Thankfully there ARE people who are continuing to do research on Lyme Disease and many groups are working hard to spread awareness about this potentially debilitating disease.

I wish you luck and please don't hesitate to write again if you have additional questions.

Best,
Bonni  

Lyme Disease

Bonni