Lyme Disease/Lyme in San Diego

Question
I sure hope you can help me. I have been struggling for 1 1/2 years and am just about at my wits end. I was bitten in the summer in my back yard in Orange County, CA. I thought it was a mosquito. It didn't itch much, but I did develop a bullseye rash, which I outlined with a sharpie pen to see if it grew or not. It was swollen and hot to the touch. It disappeared in about 4 days. About that time, I was climbing some stairs and my thigh muscles began to ache, like I had just completed a strenuous work-out. I really didn't think much of it. Within a week, I developed serious muscle fascilations in both my legs. Within 4 weeks I was stuttering, forgetful, confused, and achy. I kept telling people I felt like I was going to seizure. Like there is this buzzing shake I can't explain. I had every test known to man. Everything came back fine. A year later, I am still suffering from all the symptoms, along with swollen glands, neck and shoulder pain, and severe depression(go figure). I have been diagnosed with fibromylagia, which doesn't really sit well with me. The muscle fascilations are so dibilitaing I don't sleep. I am so weary of being poked and prodded only to be told "I am having an anxiety attack". I finally convinced my doctor to have a spinal tap, which I hope will show something. I contacted the one and only Lyme doctor in Santa Ana, and she can see me in DECEMBER for 550$! I feel so defeated. All I do is go to work, come home and sleep. I am in constant pain and fatigue and fog. I cry just about every day and my family thinks I'm nuts. If there is a doctor you recommend in San Diego, I will travel the distance to see him. Also, what is your experience with Spinal Tap results showing Lyme? Thanks. I appreciate any help you can give me. Cindy

Answer
HI Cindy - thank you for writing. Sounds like you've been through a lot! But that was very smart of you to outline the rash with a marker to see if it grew in size (many times it can be a case of cellulitis caused by a puncture or bug bite which allows bacteria to enter the blood stream. Cellulitus rashes don't look like the TRADITIONAL bullseye rash, they are usually reddish/purple and feel hot and painful to the touch. Cellulitis sounds like such a minor condition, but it can be quite serious and require hospitalization. I have first hand knowledge of this because of a family member. She had JUST been gardening a few days prior in Virginia before coming out to visit me here in San Diego and became quite sick - rash, high fever, couldn't walk on the affected leg - and we took her to the ER where they admitted her for several days with IV abx. I only bring this up, because cellulitis rashes CAN look like a "non-traditional" Lyme rash. However, if you felt cognitive symptoms and achy joints 4 weeks after, that DOES sound more like Lyme Disease.

It's just my opinion Cindy, but I would skip the spinal tap and instead get a Western Blot Lyme test thru Igenex Labs or other Lab that specializes in testing for Lyme. The problem with regular labs is that they only test for ONE strain of Lyme when there are actually over a hundred.

We do have several excellent Lyme Literate doctors in the San Diego area, but if you are in Orange County, I may be able to recommend someone closer - there is one in Los Angeles if that is closer to where you live.

If you could to me a favor and send me an email to leahpuppy31 AT hotmail.com (use the @ symbol for "AT" of course!) - I can discuss this more privately. I look forward to hearing from you. If you don't hear back from me within a few days, please contact me again thru the All Experts site because sometimes mail gets sent to my Junk Folder even though I try and check that as often as I can as well. Don't worry - there IS help available out there!

In the meantime, I'd like to recommend that you go to this site: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf
This is a guideline that many Lyme trained MDs use and on page 9 is a checklist of other symptoms that you might have experienced and not connected with having Lyme.

We also have several support groups - some on FB and one that meets every 3rd Saturday of the month at Scripps Ranch Library from noon to 2pm in San Diego. I know it's a drive for you, but this would be an excellent way for you to come down and meet other people with Lyme and many of whom are in the SoCal Lyme Group which I'm the admin of.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, Cindy!

Best,
Bonni

p.s. Cindy - if you write me back on All Experts and mark it PRIVATE, I can provide you with more information as well.  

Lyme Disease

Bonni