Lyme Disease/Lyme

Question
I was told almost 5 months ago by my neurologist that my bulls eye rashes and symptoms were "definite" Lyme Disease. I had been camping for 10 days in the High Sierras a few weeks before symptoms started showing up.  He and my reg. dr. have had me do blood tests, yet they come back negative.  I am so discouraged.  Today, was one of those days that I hurt so much that I just did not want to go on.  I don't know what is wrong with me. I have researched Lyme and I have almost EVERY symptom.  Now I am being treated like it is all in my head.
I need help, guidance at the very least.  I have spent so much money and energy on this.  I run a non profit that helps struggling families, and I can no longer work.  The depression is becoming a serious issue for me.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Answer
Dear Charisse, I'm so glad you wrote to me. I know firsthand how devastating an illness like Lyme Disease can be. There is still so much misinformation and controversy over tests and treatments that it is the patients who are suffering. Especially when many doctors run tests, see everything as "normal" and tell you "perhaps you should seek a therapist". I experienced that myself (despite a POSITIVE Lyme test) and know MANY other people who were referred to psychiatrists because their doctors could not find anything in the tests. In reality, it's because they are running INACCURATE tests or not running the RIGHT tests.

There is a link I like to share with many of my readers. It's written by Dr. Burrascano and provides guidelines used by many Lyme Literate MDs (LLMDs) It is: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf
I would suggest going to page 9 and go thru the checklist to see how many symptoms you have experienced. There many be some that you didn't initially connect with having Lyme.

It can be EXTREMELY overwhelming because you have to basically become an expert on Lyme yourself, in order to seek out the right treatment, find the right doctors, etc. This is where Lyme support groups are essential. If you can tell me what area you live in, I can find out if there are any local support groups. If you are in Northern California, I know there are definitely some up there.

Re: the blood tests, I would highly recommend that you have a Western Blot Lyme test thru Igenex Labs in Palo Alto. If you are having financial difficulty, you can contact a group called LYMETAP (just Google them for their site) They provide financial assistance for people who need Lyme and other co-infection testing. You can call them, ask them to ship you the box of test materials which you will take to the lab that draws your blood. (it includes very specific instructions on how to draw the blood then ship it overnight) However, you will need a doctor to sign off on the paperwork, so if you can get your neurologist to do it, that would be great.

Also, there is a great book by author Katina Makris, called "Out of the Woods". I think it is one of the best books I've ever read because it is the firsthand account of a woman (who happened to be a homeopathic doctor in New England) and she went undiagnosed for 7 years before finally finding out she had Lyme. It is very inspirational and gives you hope that you CAN recover! :)

I wish you luck, and if you would like to write me back with the area you live in, I'm happy to see what resources you might have nearby. If you could mark your post PRIVATE, that would be helpful.

My very best,
Bonni  

Lyme Disease

Bonni