Lyme Disease/Lyme suspicion

Question
Bonni,
I have two separate concerns. First, my husband recently found a deer tick attached to his privates.  Because we live in a high Lyme threat area, he went to the doc and they put him on Doccycycline as a precaution.  We're in northern va, and our small county is currently leading the state in Lyme cases this year. He has not been feeling well for the past two weeks.  Is there a better antibiotic, or any other regimen he should be following?

Second concern, while researching for my husband, I came across new info, and now I'm wondering if my mom may have Lyme.  She's being treated for cognitive disorders that began about 4 years ago.  We've had a zillion tests done, but Lyme has never been mentioned.  She lives in the country in northern Virginia on 30 tick-infested acres, so is at high risk. Her dog had Lyme. My dad died about 8 years ago, and shortly thereafter, I noticed some poor judgement, and mild cognitive impairment, which docs attributed to depression. About 4 years ago, she had to have knee replacements. I don't think she ever suffered from Bell's palsy, but, I have noticed that one eye is slightly droopy. I have been assuming she had a mild stroke, or some problem during one of her surgeries. She has had several MRIs which all are normal. Altheimers and senile dementia have been ruled out, but there is definite cognitive dysfunction. Could this be Lyme? If so, how do we test for it, and who should I take her to see in the northern Virginia, dc area?
Thanks for your willingness to help!

Answer
Dear Shan, I'm sorry for the delay in responding. This is what happens when you're a Lyme "Expert" and also have LYME! ((smile)) I've been experiencing a flare up recently so everything gets put on hold unfortunately. :)

Okay, let's address your questions! I'm VERY familiar with Northern Virginia because I used to live there and Virginia is where I was visiting when I also got bit by a tick and returned to Southern California with Lyme Disease (unbeknownst to me at the time). Some people come back from vacations with t-shirts. . . . So your husband found a tick on his privates - unfortunately that's probably an easy target for ticks to get at - basically anything waist level or lower if you're around bushes with ticks on them. I'm VERY glad your local doc put him on Doxy but you didn't indicate how LONG he was on it. That can be very important. Some doctors may only give you 10 days worth and pronounce you cured. Unfortunately that may not be long enough. ESPECIALLY since he hasn't been feeling well lately - I would go back to the doctor IMMEDIATELY and tell him you want more Doxycycline (Worth a try). As far as the best antibiotic to be taking? In the very beginning, yes, Doxycyline IS the abx to take.

I'm going to give you a link to Burrascano's Guidelines. He is a doctor who is an expert in Lyme Disease and came up with these guidelines for patients AND doctors as well to understand how to treat Lyme as well as other co-infections that you may pick up (such as Bartonella, Babesia, Ehrlicia, etc.) Lyme is just ONE type of bacteria that is transmitted by ticks. Unfortunately there are others. Here is the link: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf   I would suggest starting with Page 9 and see if there are symptoms that your husband has been experiencing.

Now - your second question about your mother. Every SINGLE symptom that you mentioned about your mother is a symptom of Lyme. I would absolutely suspect Lyme for several reasons. She lives in a Lyme endemic area. Her dog had Lyme. She has had problems with her knees. She has cognitive impairment. I would take her to a Lyme Literate doctor immediately and have them do a Lyme test thru Igenex Labs. (and bring your husband with you too!)

If you can send me an email at leahpuppy31@hotmail.com, I can talk with you further about doctors in your area. So sorry that you have to go through this, but your husband and mother are lucky to have you! I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Bonni

Lyme Disease

Bonni