Lyme Disease/Post Treatment Lyme Disease

Question
Bullseye Rash
Bullseye Rash  
Two weeks ago (June 23) I decided to go to the doctor due to a bullseye rash forming on my leg (I can send a picture if needed). The rash was hot, firm and from what the internet told me accurate with E. migrans. No tick was found embedded but I work in ecological restoration and pull ~20 ticks off of me weekly. And I was working in Will County IL which has had several cases of the disease spreading through blacklegged ticks. The doctor put me on a week of doxy. This morning (1 week post-antibiotics) I woke up with a tender, 1/4" immovable knot in my neck, near where the occipital lymph node is. I'm worried this is a symptom of post-treatment lyme disease or perhaps that the amount of antibiotics prescribed wasn't enough to knock it out of my system. I never got legitimate Lyme testing done since I assumed I caught it in an early stage. Do you have any suggestions and would you suggest seeing a Lyme specialist at this point? As far as other symptoms go I have mild dizziness & headaches, light fatigue and maybe even confusion/forgetfulness but none of this are severe to the point that I'd call the symptomatic. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Answer
Dear Kristin - I'm so glad you wrote and sorry I didn't reply right away. I've been experiencing one of my many Lyme related issues this weekend, so I was just now able to get to your post. That definitely looks like an EM rash associated with Lyme Disease. Especially if you live in an endemic area.

There is a lot of controversy over the length of time it takes for antibiotics to properly work and even more conservative guidelines thru IDSA, the Infectious Disease Specialists of America list 30 days of Doxycycline as an appropriate amount. Other doctors who are trained in Lyme believe that even a longer course is needed. I encourage you to read Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines for more information. You can view it at: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf. I think you will find some VERY useful information here.

I absolutely WOULD suggest that you see a Lyme specialist also known as an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor). If you need help finding one in your area, please let me know. It IS good that you caught it at an early stage, but I'm very concerned that you were not put on a long enough course of Doxycycline (the preferred antibiotic). Although your symptoms seem minor, if you are not treated properly in the beginning, your symptoms may become much more severe and at that point, it becomes harder and harder to eradicate.

So please let me know if you need to find an LLMD and I'll help you out.

Thank you again for writing, and I'm wishing you lots of luck!

Best,
Bonni

Lyme Disease

Bonni