Lyme Disease/Lyme doctors in San Diego

Hi, I desperately need to find a Lyme Literate doctor in San Diego that takes Tricare insurance/UHC (military insurance). The doctors I've seen don't believe in Chronic Lyme and told me I only have FM.  They say Lyme is an excuse, a wastebasket symptom list of FM only.

When I was in Minnesota at 23 years old, after being undiagnosed for 2 years and unable at that point to walk or care for myself and my child, an infectious disease doctor who had Lyme himself diagnosed me and treated me (I think for 3 months) with Rocephin IV.  I had nurses and in home health care then.  I was incoherent, unable to walk, hardly a memory at all, and very fluish, always reactionary to foods, neurological pain and damage and incredible fatigue.  My 2 friends died from it at the time. That was 20-something years ago.  I was told I might not make it.

I moved myself and child into my folks place in the high desert of California, figured out foods for how I felt, sun, lots and lots of sun and exercise-extremely carefully.  I have been in and out with severe bouts of the pain and fatigue and memory issues, sick easily for the last 20 something years, but this time, I'm pretty sick and staying that way for 6 months now, the last 2 months nearly in bed or couch.

Everytime is the worse time, but, it's at the worse time for me right now-normally, I hike, I run a medical support group, I homeschool and do all kinds of happy things, and I cannot move hardly at all.  ALL the symptoms are coming back.  I thought maybe now I have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or something.  I just cannot figure out what to do and I'm pretty desperate, because my family has had to take over everything the last 2 months.  My family has never seen me turn the car around and go home and crawl in bed before because of this.  If someone asks them if I'm in pain, they say I'm always in pain, its just how much.  I don't let things stop me usually or take meds for it-what am I going to do?  Be drugged up every day?  So I try hard with organic, low wheat, low dairy, low glycemic diet, and sit in the sun-it helps for some reason, swim lightly and hike slowly.  I shop at Jimbo's.  I'm in so much joint pain I think my arms and feet will fall off! But we don't have extra money to see doctors I found in the past.  I hope you have some hope here for a good doc. or free/holistic do it myself ways to help myself.  Sorry, that was a long question.  I will go to the LD support group at the Scripps Ranch library this Saturday.

HI Laura - I'd like to talk with you offline if possible - would like to tell you about the resources we have for Lyme patients in San Diego. I noticed someone named Laura just joined the main public San Diego Lyme group on Facebook - if this is you, let me know and I can send you a private message! Thank you so much for writing and I look forward to talking with you more. We have a very supportive and encouraging Lyme support community in Southern California and I'd like to introduce you to everyone!

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.