Lyme Disease/The Lyme Disease Doctor

QUESTION: WHO is the Lyme doctor in San Diego? (That Bonni mentions)

ANSWER: Paul, I've actually mentioned a few different doctors who treat Lyme in San Diego in my past posts, so it would depend on a variety of factors as to which one might be best for you! Is it for you or a child under 18, do you have a positive Western Blot, what type of insurance do you have, etc. I'm happy to discuss this and other resources like local Lyme support groups in the San Diego area with you. Please send me an email with more information to better help you, to leahpuppy31 AT (Of course use the @ symbol for "AT"!) I look forward to hearing from you. Perhaps you could give me some background on your experience with Lyme?

QUESTION: I have chronic lyme and am an adult.
I have blue cross/blue shield PPO Federal.

I have seen Novack, with no results.
And I have seen Shikhman, so far no results either. I have been on antibiotics a straight 9 months--no results.

So, the question is: Who did YOU see?

Paul, I can't really discuss this type of information on a public site, if you want to write to me at leahpuppy31 AT - I can talk to you further about your situation.

Dear Paul, I have been honored to help dozens of people on this site by answering questions, directing them to resources that would benefit them, etc. I do this on a volunteer basis, I am not paid to do this. It makes me feel good to help others and because the former Lyme "expert" had to step down, I felt that SOMEONE needed to be available to help people.

With that said, you asked me to publicly discuss certain personal and confidential medical information online, and that is prohibited. I asked you several times to write to me at the email I provided so that we could discuss your needs more PRIVATELY  and I have been checking that account daily but have not heard from you.

I'm sorry you saw fit to give me an extremely bad review because I would not share my confidential physician information with you, but I would have been more than willing to do what I could, had you written me privately.

I would suggest that you attend one of the monthly Lyme Support Groups in San Diego - it is held the 3rd Saturday of each month at the Scripps Ranch Library from noon to 2pm. In fact, there is one this weekend if you can make it. In addition, there is a public FaceBook group called San Diego Lyme Disease Group which you can join and get the support of other members.

Paul, again, I truly want to help you, but I've explained the reasons why I cannot share that information on a public site.

My very best to you and I do hope you will attend the Lyme Support Group - I think it will be of great help to you.

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.