Lyme Disease/LYME??

Question
I HAVE BENN DIAGNOSED OVER THE YEARS WITH PA,OA,RA THEN FIBROMYALGA. THE RX'S RANGED FROM MINICYCALINE TO BIOLOGICALS.  WHEN I WAS ON MINI.. I WAS RESPONDING IN A POSITIVE MANNER.  I WAS TAKEN OFF TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS-UNFORTUNATLY I GOT WORSE AND WHEN I WENT BACK TO MINI..IT HAD NO POITIVE EFFECTS.  A FRIEND HAS BEEN TREATED FOR LYME FOR YEARS IN THE SFO AREA.  MY WIFE, MY FRIEND AND I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE LYME BECAUSE OF THE SYMPTOMS I SHOW. I USED TO LIVE IN NJ TILL I WAS 15 YRS OLD.  LONG WINDED BACKROUND-SORRY- BUT NOW THE QUESTIONS: HOW DO I REALLY KNOW IF I HAVE LYME. WILL DRS BE TRUTHFULL OR WILL THEY BE SELF SERVING? IS THERE AN AFFLIATION THAT THE DRS BELONG TO THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR? AS YOU CAN TELL I AM WEARY OF DRS.S ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT WILL HELP ME AND OTHERS?? THANKS

Answer
Hi Stuart, thank you for writing to me. I understand the frustration you feel living with a chronic illness. If I understand correctly, your question is "How do I get a definitive diagnosis for Lyme?" The answer is that although Lyme is supposed to be a clinical diagnosis, the most accurate lab tests (in my opinion) are done thru Igenex Labs which are nearby your area, in Palo Alto, CA. You will need a doctor to order the blood test for you but you can call Igenex Labs and have them send you a free test kit which you can then take to the lab so that they have all the necessary information and method of packaging the blood sample. It takes up to 3 weeks and then your doctor will get the results.

Re: finding a doctor who understands Lyme Disease, yes, there IS an affiliation, it's called ILADS and they have a website. Any doctor who belongs to ILADS would be Lyme Literate.

I would suggest you read Burrascano's Guidelines at the following site: http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf
If you go to page 9 or 10, there is a list of symptoms which are indicative of Lyme Disease. This may be helpful for you in recalling certain symptoms that you may not have made the connection to Lyme. I believe that there may be a support group in the Bay area for Lyme patients, you may want to do a search on Facebook if you're a member, and see if there are any you could join. If not FB, then there may be actual monthly groups you could attend. It sounds like you need the support and encouragement of others that are going through the same thing you are, I know I have benefitted immensely from being a member of Lyme support groups! :)

I hope that this has answered your question, Stuart - please don't hesitate to contact me again if you have more questions.

Be well!
Bonni  

Lyme Disease

Bonni