Lyme Disease/Lyme doctors in San Diego

Hi Bonni
For the last year I've been suffering from chronic low grade fevers, extreme fatigue, poor short term memory and concentration, night sweats, stomach issues and pain, major back pain, knee pain and swelling, as well as a myriad of other symptoms that continue to come and go. As I'm sure you can tell the list goes on and on. I have been to more dr appointments than I can count and quite frankly I feel like a science experiment because I've been poked and prodded so much. No one can figure out what is wrong with me. It was recommended to me that I get checked for lyme so I asked one of my doctors and they ran some bloodwork. The bloodwork came up negative but it's to my understanding that it's not a totally accurate test (only about 50% accurate). I live in San Diego as well and am hoping you can give me a list or a couple names of Lyme disease doctors here in SD. I am desperate to get some relief and answers.
Thank you in advance for your time,

Hi Sarah, since you live in San Diego, I would love to talk to you about local doctors, as well as support groups which are immensely helpful to talk to others that are going thru the same experience. Your symptoms certainly sound like classic Lyme, but you really need an accurate test to be sure. As you may have found out, the tests that most doctors run are NOT very accurate and don't test as many strains as other specialized labs. In addition, if you are dealing with co-infections, a standard Lyme test is not going to detect antibodies for those specific types of bacteria or parasites.

If you could write me back and please mark your Question as PRIVATE so that we can discuss information which is confidential, such as your medical visits, I'd be happy to try and help. I look forward to talking with you!
My best,

Lyme Disease

I contracted Lyme Disease while on hiking trip in Virginia almost 3 years ago. I returned to San Diego and within 3 weeks came down with a terrible "flu-like" illness. During that time, I developed some strange rashes on my fingers and the palm of my hand. I also had a giant melon size purple "bruise" on my left thigh which may or may not have been a bullseye - but I didn't even know that was back then. A week later, I went to the store and stopped right outside the entrance. I realized that I had completely forgotten WHY I was there and it was the most scary, unsettling feeling I've ever had. That was the beginning of my strange cognitive and neuro issues I would have for the next 2 and 1/2 years. I had previously been an extremely active person - running up to 4 miles a day and hiking a few times a week. All of a sudden, I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed and my legs became weaker and weaker. At first I thought I was anemic, and when I went to a clinic, they said you probably have mono even though you aren't testing positive. I began to get fevers, night sweats, sleep disturbances, abdominal pain, and horrible nausea. Within 6 months I was developing severe arthritis in every joint in my body and THEN...the worst. . . nerve pain developing in my arms and legs. It was horrific pain. It took 7 months and a dozen doctors to diagnose me with Lyme, and since then, my entire world has been turned upside down! I have had to learn everything I could about Lyme Disease since I live in San Diego and we only have FOUR Lyme Literate doctors in this city. I am a member of several Lyme support groups and have become very active in spreading awareness about Lyme Disease and helping people get the right treatment they need. I decided to join up as an Expert, since I saw there were currently no "Lyme experts" listed at this time. I can answer most questions about Lyme - most importantly, how to instruct people as to WHERE to get help, answers, resources, etc.

I have lived with Lyme Disease for almost 3 years now (in January of 2013) and have had to educate myself because of the appalling lack of (correct) information about this disease. There is so much misinformation about Lyme, that I took it upon myself to read every book, article and studies available and educate myself. I'm a member of several Lyme groups and have learned so much by listening to other patients about their experiences and treatments. Thankfully I now have a wonderful LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) and am finally getting the treatment that I need. I've worked with dozens of other Lyme patients in helping them get the proper information and providing them with the resources they need to find doctors, learn about their options for treatments and help them find local support groups in their area. It saddens me when well meaning doctors tell their patients that they should be CURED after 3 weeks of antibiotics and yet these same patients are still suffering years later because they still have large bacterial loads in their body that are causing symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, nausea, weight loss/gain, sinus issues, muscle weakness and sometimes lack of mobility, nerve pain, joint pain, etc. - the list goes on and on. We need doctors to come together and realize that the past guidelines are NOT effective and they need to take their patients seriously rather than suggest that maybe it's "all in their head" (which happens more often than you'd think!) I am now unable to walk without a cane or walker (depending on how bad my legs are!), I continue to have peripheral neuropathy in both arms and legs, brain fog and lack of focus/concentration (is maddening!), fatigue, joint pain, nausea, headaches, sinus issues. . .the list goes on. But I'm hopeful that I'm on the right track for treatment (Finally!) and am optimistic that SOMEDAY, I WILL be cured! :)

Local and National Lyme Groups including CALDA (California Lyme Disease Association) Southern California Lyme Group MD Junction Lyme Group

I have a blog called which I definitely need to update since my last post, but it DOES have a LOT of useful links and information!

I have a Masters Degree in Film and Television - no medical degree here, but honestly I feel like I know more now than most (non-Lyme) doctors in the country.