MASH/Different ending to Ron Howard episode

Rerun fan wrote at 2008-04-04 18:58:59
In "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" the main character was an old school friend of Hawkeye's and was writing a book from the perspective of a soldier rather than as a reporter/writer.  I am sorry that I cannot remember the actors name.

Judy Mitchell wrote at 2008-06-26 01:11:00
Hi Terri

Actually, you are correct.  Frank got two purple hearts.  One for getting a shell in his eye (it was an egg shell, not a gun shell) and this is the one that Ron Howard (Wendyll/Walter) "received" - Hallmark and TV Land often cut that end piece to make room for commercials, however keep watching, I have noticed Hallmark putting those endings back on - perhaps at viewer outrage.  The Purple Heart that the baby received was from Frank "falling down in the mud on the way to the showers" (when actually he threw his back out while with Margaret)

For some reason I feel there was one where he cut his finger on a beer can, but maybe that isn't Frank after all.  LOL - Hope this helps and Viva La Mash!

Franck wrote at 2008-07-09 22:25:16
Hi each and all,

I was just viewing that episode "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet" and ... what I have seen is a little bit different.

Pre-ending: While lying on is bed, Ron's character is saying that he will hate hawkeye all his life for sending him back home. (because Hawkeye's friend just died, he doesn't want one more kid to die and betrays him).

Then we see Frank Burns receiving "purple earings" instead of the "purple heart". (Someone switched the medal with earings).

Finally we understand Hawkeye and Trapper did it when they give the "purple heart" to "Wendell" (Ron Howard) before he leaves for home. (He went to Korea just to get a medal ... to impress his ex-girlfriend.

That's what I've seen on a Central European DVD release of first season.

Hope it will help.

Franck

J.P Cuttinhoney wrote at 2008-08-01 09:49:49
Actually, you're both correct... well, kind of. I've just watched a rerun of the Ron Howard episode and Frank's medal did indeed go to Ron Howard. The episode featured the line about the long healthy hate, then the next scene was Henry presenting Frank with his Purple Heart, only to find when he opens the package with the medal inside, he actually has an earing, then we see Hawkeye and Trapper outside pinning the actual Purple Heart on Ron.

Frank again applied for a Purple Heart in a later episode. During a Sniper Attack he injures his eye from cracking an egg but claims it was from the sniper's shot. When that medal arrives it is eventually taken from Frank and awarded to the newborn baby.

Tony wrote at 2009-01-16 20:01:12
Actually, Frank Burns did, indeed, get a purple heart in this episode that was given to Ron Howard's character at the end...leaving Frank with a "purple earring". Frank's back went out when dancing with Major Houlihan and he was taken/left out in the mud by her tent, claiming he "tripped on his way to the shower", later on to Col. Blake. He put in for the purple heart because "technically" the injury was sustained at a front-line unit which made it "battle connected". Hawkeye pins the "stolen from Frank" purple heart to Ron Howard's character's uniform at the end...stating, "I guess you didn't know having your appendix out at a line unit qualifies you for the purple heart...", etc.

I have all the seasons on dvd and have this episode playing in front of me, right now. I can't comment about how or why the syndicated episodes may or may not play this part.

Victoria wrote at 2014-06-08 01:55:27
Just watched this episode to be certain (on DVD) and the correct answer is that Hawkeye does reply with the "let's hope that it's a long hate" (or whatever, I'm paraphrasing), but this is before the end of the episode.  In the final scene, Frank's purple heart is missing when Henry goes to award it to him (it was replaced with a purple earring).  Meanwhile, Hawkeye pins the purple heart on Ronny Howard's character so he can go back home with a medal to impress his ex-girlfriend, Bernice.

Season 1, episode 17

Victoria wrote at 2014-06-08 01:56:00

Season 1, episode 17

MASH

Captain Tuttle