MASH/Captain "Spearchucker" Jones

Mouthpiece wrote at 2013-01-18 19:41:18
Captain Oliver Harmon "Spearchucker" Jones.  "Spearchucker" was a double entendre.  A gag in the M*A*S*H movie was a naive nurse asking Capt. Jones, "Why do they call you 'spearchucker?'"  He answered it was because he used to throw the javelin.  But while he was portrayed in the movie as a highly-accomplished scholar and athlete, it was strongly implied that he was called "spearchucker" because he was black.

Steve Martin wrote at 2015-01-03 22:33:12
In the series of M*A*S*H books, Spearchucker is named Oliver Wendell Jones. In the M*A*S*H movie, however, Hawkeye tells Duke and Trapper that "Spearchucker" is a nickname for Oliver Harmon Jones.

Spearchucker is asked in the movie why he is called "Spearchucker", he replies that he threw the javelin.  

Ed Solomonson

I am the co-author of the 828 page, "TV'S M*AS*H - The Ultimate Guide Book." After six years of research and speaking with over 45 M*A*S*H alumni including cast members, guest stars, producers, writers and directors, I can most likely answer any question put to me.

So much a fan since September 17, 1972, I even wrote a book on the subject.

High school plus some college and trade school.