MG Car Repair/72 MGB headlight wiring

Hi, I have a butchered front harness and need to know what wires work the headlamps and possibly tell me the connections. Thank-you.

Hi Bob:

In the wiring you find each wire with a color and a "tracer" color along the wire which identifies what it control/hooks up to. First color is the main color, second is the tracer color. In the case of your headlights:

headlamps - plain black is always to ground. You should have a blue/white and a blue/red wire to each light.  one is for the low beams and the other for high beam. They wind their way back to the High/Low switch, h/L flasher, direction indicator switch on the steering column.

If you have a owner's manual it should have a wiring diagram in it for your 72 B. Other maint books also have the diagrams. Trying to sort out wiring without a wiring diagram is a sure way to madness!  maybe a search on the internet will draw one up as well.  Good luck!

MG Car Repair

Brian Warmuth

General questions regarding most MG autos from 1950 through 1980 - primary are the TD, MGB, Midget and MGA.

Over 30 years of working on and restoration of MGs

Ohio Chapter New England MGT Register, AACA

BA, and MS, from WVU

several local regional awards for restorations