MG Car Repair/Missing key

Hi Barrie,

Hope you can help? I have just purchased a non-runner MGB GT which has been left locked in a garage for several years. The keys have been lost and i need to have a replacement key made to allow me entry into the car

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Many thanks

John Jenkins

Hi John,

I don't know any easy way to access the car. You can either just drill out the center of the door lock checking the button every so often to see if the drill has rotated the unlock assembly or have a lock smith do it. There were not that many different keys for the old British cars so a lock smith may have many of them that they may have a key that fits. In the dealerships here we often found keys that fit other cars.

MG Car Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

MG from 1956 (USA versions only) up and Engine theory.

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000