MG Car Repair/windshield wiper motor replacement

Question
What is the procedure to replace a windshield wiper motor on a 1979 mg midget?

Answer
Hi Fred,

The factory says to remove the two bolts holding the strap over the motor to the inner fender well and remove the large nut holding the cable housing to the wiper motor wheel box. Then remove the wiper arms and blades and remove the motor with the inner cable attached.

I prefered to remove the wiper box cover screws (1/4 inch hex heads as I remember) and remove the "E" clip on the large gear wheel and remove the link connecting the cable end to the large gear. Thus leaving the inner cable in place.

It is difficult to access the cover plate and if that is too difficult, you will need to remove the whole unit as the factory suggestes.

Howard

MG Car Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III