MG Car Repair/windshield wiper motor replacement

What is the procedure to replace a windshield wiper motor on a 1979 mg midget?

Hi Fred,

The factory says to remove the two bolts holding the strap over the motor to the inner fender well and remove the large nut holding the cable housing to the wiper motor wheel box. Then remove the wiper arms and blades and remove the motor with the inner cable attached.

I prefered to remove the wiper box cover screws (1/4 inch hex heads as I remember) and remove the "E" clip on the large gear wheel and remove the link connecting the cable end to the large gear. Thus leaving the inner cable in place.

It is difficult to access the cover plate and if that is too difficult, you will need to remove the whole unit as the factory suggestes.

MG Car Repair

Howard M. Fitzcharles III

MG from 1956 (USA versions only) up and Engine theory.

Dealership line mechanic on MG, Triumph, Jaguar for 15 years, Instructor in commercial mechanics school 2 yr. Product information manager for piston and valve manufacture, Instructor & hotline answer man for import car parts importer 15 yrs.

Associate member SAE EAA member

Import Car magazine

ASE Master Auto with L-1 certification up to 2000