MG Car Repair/1954 MG TF 1500 REAR SPRINGS

Question
Hello,

My TF is sagging at the rear, only 1,5 inches left of vertical spring movement. Some suggest that I should install TD rear springs to improve rear suspension when driwing two up with luggage. I do trips with wife plus overnight luggage for staying in hotels and B&B. I would be very interested in your opinion on this.

Thank you,

Jan Kristoffersen
Oslo, Norway

Answer
Hi Jan.  TF rear springs in good condition should be absolutely flat when the car is normally loaded.  TD rear springs should curve downwards by about 12mm, so a TD sits higher above the rear axle.  Yes, you can fit TD springs to a TF, but it will look too high at the back when the car is not heavily loaded.

If your existing springs sag upwards by more than 10mm then they should be re-tempered or replaced.  

I have found that some modern replacement bump stops are too big and the rubber is too hard, so if your existing springs are level but you can feel the car hitting the bump stops every time you go over a bump, then I recommend that you carefully cut about 10mm from the bottom of the rear bump stops to give your TF rear axle more space to move upwards.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones