MG Car Repair/Rear shock absorbers replacement

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1977 MGB and am changing the rear Armstrong type shock absorbers. I can't get the nut loose where the shock link connects to the springs. I have already ordered replacement shock links. Is it easiest to just cut the nuts off at the spring plate attachment than to try to get the nuts off?

Telescopic unit
Telescopic unit  
ANSWER: Hi Terry.  

Undo the old shock absorber from the chassis, undo the U bolts and drop the whole assembly out of the car.  

Now you can grind one face off the big nut and remove the drop link.

You will need to source some UNF nuts to replace the ones that you have destroyed, but at least the drop links should be re-usable.  

For your information, I attach a photo of my bottom link.  It has been turned upside down in order to attach Spax telescopic units.

QUESTION: I have the original shocks on the car and am replacing them with the same type of shocks. I did not choose to replace them with the Spax system. Can I just cut the bottom shock link nut off at the spring plate attachment point? This seems to be the easiest way to remove the link and save the bottom plate.

Answer
It is very difficult to remove the bottom nut with the bottom plate still attached to the car, because the spring will be in the way.  

If you take the bottom plate off the rear spring, then removing the nut is much easier and there is less chance of damaging the drop link, which you can re-use.  

I advise you to remove the shock absorber complete with drop link and bottom plate, and then remove that stubborn nut on your workbench.  Sometimes applying heat from a gas blowtorch is sufficient to loosen it.  Sometimes I cut into the nut with a small angle grinder, being careful not to damage the thread on the drop link.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones