MG Car Repair/rear axles, 1965 Sprite, USA

QUESTION: I am replacing my EN7 original axles with worn splines, with a used set of EN17 axles. Besides the splines, what other areas on  the axles should I inspect.

Thanks Al

Sprite halfshafts are a known weak point, so replacing EN7 shafts with the later stronger shafts is a good idea.  

Firstly, when buying used halfshafts, make sure you know which was used on the Left and Right side of the car.  Reversing the direction of thrust is a bad idea.

Also, make sure they are correct for your wheels.  Wire wheels need different shafts to steel wheels.

The best advice I have seen is on the Austin Healey Experience website.  

Go to:

QUESTION: I have no idea what side the axles came out of.  My used pair of EN17 axles shows a harder imprint of the differential gear they engaged with on one side of each axle spline then the other. According to the imprint the axles were opposed to each other. Would this indicate what side the axles came out of. Harder imprint facing to the front of the car or to the rear. When I remove the EN7 axles I may be able to match the wear and determine the correct position if I am lucky.

Thanks Al

Yes, You should be able to work out which is which by looking at the wear pattern on the inner splines.  

Read the link I sent you carefully.  It also explains how you can measure for excess wear in the splines.  You don't want to fit a replacement pair that are badly worn.  Perhaps you should get them crack-tested as well.  

Regards, Barrie

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones

MG Sports Cars from 1949 to 1980 - Including MGB, MGBGT V8, TF1500, TF, TD and modern Midgets. I also specialise in SU carburettors, Lucas wiring, suspension, steering & brakes.

I have owned my 1955 TF1500 since 1966. Technical specialist for the TD and TF with the MG Car Club T Register. Also owned 20 MGBs and currently own an MGBGT V8. Written 3 books on MGs and produced a DVD on how to strip and rebuild the TD/TF gearbox.

MG Car Club.

Barrie's Notes on the 1953-55 MG TF (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB GT V8 (author). /=====/ The Essential Buyer's Guide to the MG TD, TF and TF1500. (author)

M Phil, C Eng, BSc (Eng).