MG Car Repair/Steering wheel/indicator switch removal

Many thanks,Barrie for previous advice.I need to replace the indicator switch on my 1978 RHD UK made MGBGT.I believe the steering wheel needs to be removed for this job,so could you please advise how easy or hard, first to remove the wheel and then the switch.Thanks again Joe.

MGB Steering Wheel puller 1977-80
MGB Steering Wheel pul  
Hi Joe.

On MGBs built after 1976 they changed the design of the indicator stalks, so you must remove the steering wheel on your 1978 car.  

Please do not try to remove the steering wheel by hitting the shaft with a mallet or pulling the wheel towards you.  Your MGB is fitted with a collapsible (safety) steering column.  If you attempt to remove the wheel without the correct equipment you could easily cause the inner column to collapse and it is very difficult to straighten it out again.  

I attach a photo of the tool that you need.  It should not be too difficult to make one.

The switches are attached to a plate hidden inside the black plastic cowl which is split into 2 pieces.  There are two long screws that hold the two pieces together and two shorter screws that clip each half to small brackets on the column.  Remove all 4 screws with a number 2 Pozidrive screwdriver and then carefully remove the two parts of the cowl, noting how they clip together.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones

MG Sports Cars from 1949 to 1980 - Including MGB, MGBGT V8, TF1500, TF, TD and modern Midgets. I also specialise in SU carburettors, Lucas wiring, suspension, steering & brakes.

I have owned my 1955 TF1500 since 1966. Technical specialist for the TD and TF with the MG Car Club T Register. Also owned 20 MGBs and currently own an MGBGT V8. Written 3 books on MGs and produced a DVD on how to strip and rebuild the TD/TF gearbox.

MG Car Club.

Barrie's Notes on the 1953-55 MG TF (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB GT V8 (author). /=====/ The Essential Buyer's Guide to the MG TD, TF and TF1500. (author)

M Phil, C Eng, BSc (Eng).