MG Car Repair/history of car.

Question
Dear Barrie,

In September 2007, I imported an MGB 1971 from Holland. The former owner didnít know a lot about her history only that she was imported from the UK in November 1986.

Since I bought the car, I tried several times to obtain some information about her past, but so far without any positive results. I know there is a special form V888 to do so and send this to the DVLA, but even this didnít get me any further.
DVLA says it is impossible to send information outside the UK, it should be only possible when providing them with a UK address, however DVLA is not willing to give any info at all.

What is your experience in this? Perhaps you know another way to obtain this, which is important for me. I do not know what information can be released but I would be interested in knowing her former registration nr, previous owner(s),Ö.It seems that the first registration nr started or consists of UAU, VAU or WAU, according to http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/au.htm.

To register the car in Belgium, I got the heritiage certificate from BMIHT. If you need a copy of this or some other documents, Iíll send them without any delay.

I hope after all these years, there will be a possibility to get some information of her past.

Many thanks in advance for your cooperation is this matter.

Yours sincerely and kind regards.

Answer
Hi Pierre.  The best people to help you with your search are the MGB Register.  They can be contacted here:

http://www.mgcc.co.uk/registers/mgb-register/

Also, I would study the Heritage certificate, which would tell me where the car was first sold.  For example, if it was originally exported to the USA, then I would find an American MGB forum to search for more information.

If nobody else can help you, then get back to me and I will try to help you some more.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones