MG Car Repair/TF 1500 distributor

Question
G/day Barrie greetings from Perth Western Australia, I need to ask your advice on a Lucas distributor I have  which I am considering sending  away to the US to get sorted it is a D2A 40402J CW67 - 455, however I am not sure if this distributor will fit the TF in particular where it locks into the block  as it had a clamp on it.

ThanK you

Answer
Hi George.

The D2A4 distributor type 40402 was originally fitted to the Ford Prefect 100E. The TF used a D2A4 type 40367.  

The good news is that they both rotate in the same direction, and the body of this distributor will fit straight into your TF1500 block after you remove the clamp.

I seem to remember that it may have the wrong drive gear, so please count the number of teeth before you try to fit it.  You may have to use the TF drive gear.

Please note that this distributor does NOT have the correct advance curve for your TF1500.  The maximum advance is only 14 degrees, whereas the TF requires 24. Therefore, you will need to modify it by enlarging the advance holes and fitting TF weights and springs.  This is a relatively straightforward modification which you should be able to do yourself.  I can give you more details if you need them.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones