MG Car Repair/74 MGB SU carbs

Question
hi Barrie - I removed the original air cleaners on my HS4 SU carbs and added  the 1\2 moon foam type ( smaller and more aesthetic ). There are aluminum collar \ flanges that the air filters bolted to each having a rounded  intake flange for smooth air flow. However my new filters have a simple punched hole in the flange plate which connect to the collars that I would think disturbs the air flow.. Now I am wondering if the original parts were better? For one thing I am very aware of noisy hissing coming from these air filters. Is there any problem with using these after market filters?      
thanks and regards
Paul

Answer
Hi Paul.  The aftermarket foam socks do work, but they are noisy and ideally they need a metal insert with rounded edges to smooth and quieten the airflow.  

However, the original setup is difficult to improve upon, apart from the paper elements.  

Personally I recommend K&N air filter elements as straight replacements for the original paper ones.  You do not need the complete kit, just the elements.  They will fit inside the original canisters.

Another company called Jetex also make replacement elements similar to K&N, which I have used with great success in all the MGBGT V8s that I have owned.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones