MG Car Repair/headlight problems on 1973 Midget

Question
I have a 1973 Midget that I purchased about three years ago and have slowly been replacing parts, i.e. starter motor, radiator, alternator, brake switch and many other little things. The headlights were working perfectly up until about a week ago. Turned on the switch, running lights came on, internal light on radio came on, unfortunately the headlights did not. Put in new headlights to check and see if it was actually the lights themselves. That apparently was not the problem. I checked that all wires were connected to the switch but still no luck. I would appreciate any help that you can give me. When my husband was alive he used to fix all of these things on the previous MG's that we owned (3 midgets, 1 spriget, 1 MGB GT). Unfortunately he passed away and I am finding out that I should have paid more attention to what he was doing!!!

Answer
Hello Case.

Before you do anything else, can you check 3 things:

1) Headlamps (main beam)
2) Headlamps (dipped beam)
3) Headlamp flasher switch (and blue warning light in the dashboard)?  

If all 3 are not working then I would suspect faulty earth wires.

If 1 and 2 have failed but 3 is still working then the problem is either with the dip switch, or else the blue wire has fallen off the back of the lighting switch.  

PLEASE do not pull the lighting switch without undoing the earth wire from the battery first, otherwise ther is a good chance that you will cause a fire in the wiring loom.  The power to the lights is via a Brown wire that has no fuse.  It is always hot.

Get back to me if this is not clear.  

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones