MG Car Repair/High Beams/headlights

Left high beam doesn't work. When I flash, only the right side high beam works and left does nothing. When I engage the high beams switch the right comes on but the left light goes out. I've replaced the light and the switch to no avail.

Hi Steve
The dip beams both work, but only the right side high beam is working, and when you use the headlamp flasher, only the right side flashes.

Therefore, the fault is one of the following on the LEFT side of the car:

1) The headlamp bulb has a faulty high beam filament.  You need a new bulb.

2) The connector at the back of the bulb is faulty.  These sometimes overheat and need to be crimped with a pair of fine nosed pliers or replaced.  It is the blue wire with the white stripe that will have the problem.

3) The blue wire with a white stripe is not connected to the bullet terminal or it has corroded. Find the 4-way connector behind the radiator grille with 3 Blue/White wires going into it.  Pull all 3 out of the connector then plug them all back in again.  This should clear it.

Hope this helps.

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones

MG Sports Cars from 1949 to 1980 - Including MGB, MGBGT V8, TF1500, TF, TD and modern Midgets. I also specialise in SU carburettors, Lucas wiring, suspension, steering & brakes.

I have owned my 1955 TF1500 since 1966. Technical specialist for the TD and TF with the MG Car Club T Register. Also owned 20 MGBs and currently own an MGBGT V8. Written 3 books on MGs and produced a DVD on how to strip and rebuild the TD/TF gearbox.

MG Car Club.

Barrie's Notes on the 1953-55 MG TF (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB (author). /=====/ Barrie's Notes on the MGB GT V8 (author). /=====/ The Essential Buyer's Guide to the MG TD, TF and TF1500. (author)

M Phil, C Eng, BSc (Eng).