MG Car Repair/unleaded petrol 95 E10

Question
Hi Barrie,

I don't know if this kind of fuel (with 10% ethanol instaes of 5%) is already for sale in the UK, but from January1st 2017 this will be the only kind of fuel available in Belgium, the usual unleaded 95 won't be anymore. There are a lot of questions now about wether this fuel is suitable for oldtimers, in our case the MG. Thanks for your opinion.

Answer
Hi Pierre

Here in the UK we only have unleaded 95 and unleaded 98.  Both now contain up to 5% Ethanol and I have heard from many MG owners who are having trouble with their engines using this fuel.

The biggest problem appears to be "hot restart" where you go for a drive, stop to fill the tank, and then you cannot get the engine to start again until it cools down.

Another problem is where you are in a queue of slow moving traffic and the engine runs very rough or even cuts out altogether.  Once again, it will not restart until it cools down.

The problem is worse if the fuel pump is in the engine compartment.

Some MGs require a heat shield to protect the carburetters from the heat of the exhaust manifold.

Some MGs require a different advance curve in the distributor.

The Ethanol content will be increased to 10% and I expect things to get worse.

Regards, Barrie

MG Car Repair

Barrie Jones