MS SQL/database design and coding for Front-End Web Developer

Hello, Mohit Nayyar

I am a Front-End Web Developer (so I do the HTML, CSS and Javascript of a website). I consider my knowledge of database to be basic, since I took only 1 database subject in college and know how to fetch data through PHP.

I built a website for a client that was fairly simple (it contained information only). Now he wants to add a database to store user information in it. The website was built using HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript and no Content Management System was used.

How can I get started with designing and building a database for my website?

Thank you

PS: you can redirect me to a good website or book that discusses the same issue. I know programming so don't mind technical language.

Hi Jake

I am really sorry for the delay.

There are lots of books, links and videos to start learning SQL. I will recommend few here...

Online Links

Videos (some advance one as well)

Mohit Nayyar

Microsoft SQL Server: T-SQL development (stored procedures, triggers, functions), Database optimization, performance tuning, high availability (Clustering, Log Shipping, Mirroring, Replication), scalability, SQL Server migration (Sybase/Oracle to SQL Server), SSIS/DTS, Data Warehousing (Kimball Methodology), ETL (SSIS), Cube (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), database modeling, database administration, Security implementation and typically anything related to Microsoft SQL Server.

With over 10 years of experience in Database Administration, Development, Business Intelligence solutions and managing enterprise level database solutions based on Microsoft SQL Server.
IT Magazine: ASP, SQL

IT Magazine: ASP, SQL

MCA (Masters)

Brainbench Certified: RDBMS
MCTS: DBA/Developer/BI for SQL Server 2005/SQL Server 2008
MCITP: DBA/Developer/BI for SQL Server 2005/SQL Server 2008
MCDBA: SQL Server 2000
MCP: SQL Server 6.5