MS SQL/Regarding Restore database

Dear Sir,

I am using SQL Server 2000. After crash my PC I setup win XP and install SQL Server. My backup was stored in D: drive. After that I restore the database but data base shows totally empty. The back up file size is 13 GB but nothing inside it. File extension is “backup.bak”. But no auto backup was given before and no backup was taken before my PC crashed. But I don’t understand how this 13 GB shows totally empty.

Please tell me your valuable advice that I can get my database.

Hi Niaz

Can you please let me know the following...

1. What was the last time you took the database backup of 13 GB?
2. Can you just try restoring the headers/filelist to reconfirm the issue/backup sets?
3. What was the estimated size of database before the crash?
4. Recovery model for the database before the crash?
5. Do you have transaction log backup with you?
6. Is it possible that the base size of the data/log files are set to 13 GB?

Mohit Nayyar

Microsoft SQL Server: T-SQL development (stored procedures, triggers, functions), Database optimization, performance tuning, high availability (Clustering, Log Shipping, Mirroring, Replication), scalability, SQL Server migration (Sybase/Oracle to SQL Server), SSIS/DTS, Data Warehousing (Kimball Methodology), ETL (SSIS), Cube (SSAS), Reporting Services (SSRS), database modeling, database administration, Security implementation and typically anything related to Microsoft SQL Server.

With over 10 years of experience in Database Administration, Development, Business Intelligence solutions and managing enterprise level database solutions based on Microsoft SQL Server.
IT Magazine: ASP, SQL

IT Magazine: ASP, SQL

MCA (Masters)

Brainbench Certified: RDBMS
MCTS: DBA/Developer/BI for SQL Server 2005/SQL Server 2008
MCITP: DBA/Developer/BI for SQL Server 2005/SQL Server 2008
MCDBA: SQL Server 2000
MCP: SQL Server 6.5