MS SQL Server/database design and coding for Front-End Web Developer

I am a Front-End Web Developer (so I do the HTML, CSS and Javascript of a website). I consider my knowledge of database to be basic, since I took only 1 database subject in college and know how to fetch data through PHP.

I built a website for a client that was fairly simple (it contained information only). Now he wants to add a database to store user information in it. The website was built using HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript and no Content Management System was used.

How can I get started with designing and building a database for my website?

Thank you

PS: you can redirect me to a good website or book that discusses the same issue. I know programming so don't mind technical language.

Your stack (HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP) will work well with the mySQL database also many a times refered to as the LAMP stack ( So I would recommend you read up on how to use mySQL. The mySQL Community Edition is available under the GNU license is my understanding.  Search for mySQL PHP Web development ( Pick any of the quick learning books like 24 hrs series. This will help you grab the basics.

Next step is to is search the web for CMS systems that use PHP. There are several open source projects available. In addition check compatibility with your website provider (See here sample with how to achieve if running on GoDaddy >>> Many a times they bundle different types of softwares as part of the package. One of these well know is Joomla ( also look at

Hope this helps! Good luck with your project.

MS SQL Server

Anup Mistry

T-SQL, Database design, Stored Procedures, Schema, .NET Classes, SQL Server, SQL Compact, SQL Express, ADO.NET, Administration, Pretty much anything inside SQL-Server. Will help research if I do cannot answer or provide exact answer. My way of giving back to the programming community

Been software developer for 10+ years. Worked on various large business applications (Warehousing + Distribution, Financial, Healthcare). Worked on Mobile development (Proof of Delivery, Consumer based Infotainment application, Web based apps). Never stopped programming all these years. Worked on embedded, small, medium and large scale databases. Even in leisure time am reading computer related magazines. Have been a visiting professor at educational institutes teaching corporate and college students alike. Held Systems Analyst, Technical R&D member positions as well.

Brainbench certifications: (Microsoft.NET, Java 1, Oracle, Network Technical National Center for Software Technology: D-Level (software engineering exam)

Speaker at Planet PDA on topic “Developing Apps for the Pocket PC” Seminar at Fairleigh Dickinson University, NJ on topic “Wireless LAN and Wireless Software applications”

Bachelors Degree in Engineering Electronics and Telecommunications Mobile Cellular Systems Satellite Communications