Mac Networking/map drive

Question
I have a mac osx 10.4.11 and a windows file server.
I mapped the shared drive on mac. smb://fileserver/data

But this network drive get disconnected randomly. then I have to remap again.
If the windows server restarts the map drive also disconnected.
Is there anyway to map this drive permanently? I do not logoff or restart my MAC. It is always on and for some reason the windows share drive disconnected without any reason.
Could you please help.
Thanks

Answer
SMB (server message block) protocol is iffy at best on the older Mac Operating sytems. The best way to work around this, is to make sure the windows file server has a static IP address, and map to the IP address, instead of the fileserver name. In my experience, this has helped immensely. If this does not correct the issue, please let me know, and I will give you alternates. Sorry for the delay, never received an email to answer it.  

Mac Networking

Toby Latham