Mac Networking/network name

Question
When I click on the WIFI symbol in the menu bar I see the names of several networks. One of these is my home network using Airport Express. I assume that oter people, near by can also see my network. It is password protected, but I want to change its name. Something more generic and less descriptive. I followed Apple help and changed the name. Application folder to utilities folder to Airport app. The name changed in this app BUT not under the WIFI symbol in the menu bar. How do I change it their? thanks

Answer
That should change it. It may just take some time to take effect. The best way to secure it, would be to turn off the SSID broadcast, in which will take the name completely off. You will just have to type in the SSID when you want to connect a new device:

1. Open your AirPort Admin Utility application (this program was installed from the CD-ROM when you set up the device)

2. Find your network's name and double-click it or press the Configure button on the bottom right of the screen.

3. Here, our network name is Apple Airport Express

4. Enter your password and click OK.

5. The Configure "Apple Airport Express" Base Station should open. Click on Airport tab.

6. Check the box that says Create a closed network.

7. Click OK on the dialogue box.

8. Click the Update button on the lower right part of the screen.

9. In order to join the network you must type in the name network name exactly because it will no longer appear in a list of Available Wireless Networks.

Mac Networking

Toby Latham