Mac Networking/Email addresses

Question
I have several old email addresses of contacts that have changed their email addresses. When I type into the to block the name of one of these people I get both their old and new addresses to choose from. When I go to the contact app to delete the old address I can't find it. All I have are the new addresses. Where are the old addresses that keep popping up. I would like to get rid of them.

Answer
Mail keeps a list of the email addresses you send messages to, and uses the list to suggest or complete addresses for you when you send email. You can delete obsolete or incorrect addresses from the list, and use it to quickly see or add people in the Contacts app.

Choose Window > Previous Recipients.

Do any of the following:

Sort the list: Click a column header.

Search for a name: Enter the name in the search field.

Remove a name from the list: Select one or more names, then click Remove From List.

Show names in Contacts: Double-click a name. A card icon precedes names that are already in Contacts.

Add names to Contacts: Select a name, then click Add to Contacts.

Tip:   If you use Smart Addresses, you can remove a recipient from the list when you address a message by clicking the arrow in the address.
If you use iCloud Contacts, your Previous Recipients list is available on your other Mac computers (with OS X v10.8 or later) and iOS devices (with iOS 6 or later) that have iCloud Contacts turned on.

Address an email message

Mac Networking

toby