Macintosh OS/Connecting to internet

Question
QUESTION: I have a MacBook Pro 17" running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I use Safari for browsing and Microsoft Entourage for email downloading.
My problem is this: Everything about both Safari and Entourage works fine. I get both web pages and emails normally. The issue is that periodically while I am either browsing or reading emails, I get a pop-up message that says something like, "Cannot find a PPoE Server". The pop-up has no effect on anything I am doing and when I simply close the pop-up box, everything continues to work fine. It is just annoying, popping up frequently. Can you suggest what I might do to stop these annoying pop-up error messages from occurring? Thanks very much.
Steve

ANSWER: I wonder, if you go to the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network, on the left column is there an entry for PPPoE?

Most people just Ethernet or Airport, but not PPPoE. Maybe if PPPoE is listed, deleting it would fix the problem.

-John

Also, I found one place where someone had said:

"The ethernet connection isnt set up properly on your mac if its looking to connect via pppoe. it needs to connect using DHCP."

at: http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67802.html

QUESTION: John,
When going to "Network" on the left side, I have "Airport", "Firewire", and "Ethernet", with "Airport" selected and the other two marked "Not Connected".
When I chose "Advanced" on this page, and go to "TCP/IP", on line one where it says "Configure iPv4", I have "Using DHCP" selected. I will have to wait awhile to see if any of this fixes the problem. Thanks. I will email back either way.

Answer
Ok. Yeah, it sounds like you have everything set correctly then.

I wonder also... on my Apple wireless router/access point I see (when I use the "Airport Utility") under the "Internet" tab there is an option "Connect Using" and mine is set to DHCP, but I see I could choose PPPoE.

Maybe your wireless router/access point is set to PPPoE and should be set to DHCP... Not sure... Just thought I would mention it.

I got that idea after seeing this post:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/9574515#9574515

John

Macintosh OS

John Allen