Macintosh OS/Connecting to internet

QUESTION: I have a MacBook Pro 17" running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I use Safari for browsing and Microsoft Entourage for email downloading.
My problem is this: Everything about both Safari and Entourage works fine. I get both web pages and emails normally. The issue is that periodically while I am either browsing or reading emails, I get a pop-up message that says something like, "Cannot find a PPoE Server". The pop-up has no effect on anything I am doing and when I simply close the pop-up box, everything continues to work fine. It is just annoying, popping up frequently. Can you suggest what I might do to stop these annoying pop-up error messages from occurring? Thanks very much.

ANSWER: I wonder, if you go to the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Network, on the left column is there an entry for PPPoE?

Most people just Ethernet or Airport, but not PPPoE. Maybe if PPPoE is listed, deleting it would fix the problem.

Also, I found one place where someone had said:

"The ethernet connection isnt set up properly on your mac if its looking to connect via pppoe. it needs to connect using DHCP."

When going to "Network" on the left side, I have "Airport", "Firewire", and "Ethernet", with "Airport" selected and the other two marked "Not Connected".
When I chose "Advanced" on this page, and go to "TCP/IP", on line one where it says "Configure iPv4", I have "Using DHCP" selected. I will have to wait awhile to see if any of this fixes the problem. Thanks. I will email back either way.

Ok. Yeah, it sounds like you have everything set correctly then.

I wonder also... on my Apple wireless router/access point I see (when I use the "Airport Utility") under the "Internet" tab there is an option "Connect Using" and mine is set to DHCP, but I see I could choose PPPoE.

Maybe your wireless router/access point is set to PPPoE and should be set to DHCP... Not sure... Just thought I would mention it.

I got that idea after seeing this post:

Macintosh OS

John Allen

I can answer most Mac and related questions. I still use OS 9 from time to time as well as OS X 10.4 through 10.7. Let me know me what model Mac you use and what version of OS X you use since many times it is helpful to know (10.5/Leopard, 10.7/Lion, etc).

I've been a Mac fan since 1990 when I first got a Mac SE/30. Been using Macs at home and at work ever since.

None at this time.

None. Just ran across this Mac tutorial application for Mac users running OS X 10.7 or later:

I've been working for the last 12 years as an Macintosh I.T. administrator at an advertising agency.

I did take a Apple certification test 5+ years ago.

Help neighbors with their PC's and Mac's. Ran a Macintosh bulletin board system for many years. I've lately been asking a lot of questions to the AllExperts linux gurus, and thought I would try my hand and give back by answering questions about Macs.