Macintosh OS/miscellaneous used space

Richard wrote at 2012-12-17 18:51:14
Here's what worked.  I Restarted with control-R.  I chose Disk Utility and erased the volume (the internal hard drive).  I quit Disk Utility and then Restored System from Backup, using a recent Time Machine backup.  Everything was back to normal and the mystery 100GB was gone. A clean install would have been very cumbersome, since there are four accounts on this computer.

Thanks again.  

Lchapman wrote at 2013-03-08 03:21:21
I had this issue on two computers. One I erased and did a new install like Richard, which fixed the problem. The other computer I decided to use disc warrior to build a new directory, and that freed up that unusable space as well. The benefit is it did take less time.

Macintosh OS

Debba Robinson

AppleWorks 6, Systems up to 10.3.5, general trouble-shooting of hardware and some software.

In years past I taught computer K-8 and helped maintain Macs using sytems 7 and 8. Since 2001, I have not been working with computers daily, aside from doing my own work. I dabble in helping people out and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out answers to your problems. Systems 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all in my repertoire now, at various levels of expertise. Please, NO networking questions.