You are here:

Macintosh OS/hidden characters in MS Word 2011


I pasted a selection from excel to word.  After each field in the word document is a little box as a hidden character shaped like a little square with concave sides, (see image below).  They toggle with other hidden characters by using the Pilcrow.  They appear to be some kind of formatting code as I can't remove them without removing the whole field.  What are they and how can I remove them?

Hi, Ken,

Actually, they are as you think - formatting boxes.  I don't know exactly what they are called, but they don't print so I call them invisibles.  You can go into your preferences and ask that they don't show by going to the VIEW icon and turning off any or all.  Let me know if you need help doing that.

I apologize for taking the full 3 days - I was moving and just got back on my computer.  I forgot to go on 'vacation' in the confusion before and during the move.  But, I hope that my answer makes up for the delay.  I USUALLY get to them the day the questions are asked!  

All my best,

Macintosh OS

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Debba Robinson


AppleWorks 6, Systems up to 10.3.5, general trouble-shooting of hardware and some software.


In years past I taught computer K-8 and helped maintain Macs using sytems 7 and 8. Since 2001, I have not been working with computers daily, aside from doing my own work. I dabble in helping people out and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out answers to your problems. Systems 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all in my repertoire now, at various levels of expertise. Please, NO networking questions.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]