Macintosh OS/Internet connection issue

Question
I have a MacBook Pro 17" running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I use Safari for browsing and Microsoft Entourage for email downloading.
My problem is this: Everything about both Safari and Entourage work fine. I get both web pages and emails normally. The issue is that periodically while I am either browsing or reading emails, I get a pop-up message that says something like, "Cannot find a PPoE Server". The pop-up has no effect on anything I am doing and when I simply close the pop-up box, everything continues to work fine. It is just annoying. I use a home Airport wireless network which works fine. Can you suggest what I might do to stop these annoying pop-up error messages from occurring? Thanks very much.
Steve

Answer
Steve,

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure -Something thinks that you need to be talking to a PPoE service on your machine.

By any chance, at some point were you directly connected into your DSL modem?  PPoE is Point to Point protocol over ethernet. It's common to setup DSL modems that are directly connected in this way.

A quick fix: You might try going into system preferences>network and adding a new location. Let me know if you need more details than that.

If that doesn't work (or you need more details) let me know!

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg