Macintosh OS/Mac Mini - Getting online without Safari

Question
I apologize right up front for how badly I'll explain this problem because I am not a Mac user, it's my daughter's computer and I am not familiar with how it's OS is set up.  

The comp is a Mac Mini, the OS is 10.1 (I think) and the issue is with Safari, which opens, connects to the Internet, and closes when the web page starts loading.  If this was a PC, I'd delete (or uninstall) Safari and reload it from a disc or possibly from a trial version already installed on the computer set up.

From what I've read, this seems like a common problem with Safari so I've followed the advice I could, cleaning cache folders, going into systems to change the security setting so the page would load, and nothing I've read before has helped.

Additionally, I am doing this at work, on a PC, because I can not get online while I am home on my daughter's computer and that's what I really need help with.  Is there someway I can get online without Safari?  A lot of PCs have the ability to get to the system's homepage (with a HP for instance) without the main browser working.  Is there anything like this with an Apple?  

Any advice would be appreciated!

Answer
Hi Ginger.

I wonder if the default home page that Safari is set to is what is crashing Safari.

Sometime see if you are able to start safari, but hit the red 'close' button in the upper right hand corner to close the safari window. Then maybe that way Safari will still be running, and you can go to the "Safari" menu and go to "preferences" and set a different default home page (like www.google.com)

And then quit out of Safari and re-start it and see if it still quits/crashes on launch.

I can' think of a different way to get online without Safari. If you had a little USB flashdrive/thumbdrive, you could put it into another computer, download Firefox to it and then plug it into the Mac and install Firefox on the Mac.

But 10.1 is so old, I'm not sure an really old version of Firefox would run on Mac OS X 10.1

Let me know if this makes sense/helps.

The other thing I was thinking of suggesting was:

Quit Safari.

Go to your Mac's Hard Drive -> Your User Name -> Library -> Preferences

Move the com.apple.Safari.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari. If that helped, move the.plist file to the Trash. If not, move it back to the Preferences folder.  

Macintosh OS

John Allen