Macintosh OS/Printing on Mavericks

I have a mac mini from late 2010.  I have had this HP Photosmart 7960 printer for a few years before that when I had a windows machine.  I have never had a problem printing pictures using the upper or lower paper tray.  This is the first time I have tried to print a 5X7 print since I upgraded to Mavericks.  The print fails and I get a message on my printer that says, " Photo tray is engaged.  Disengage it and press OK or CANCEL the job." This is frustrating because the upper tray is where the 5X7 paper is.   In the printing software I have selected the 5X7 paper.  
This Mac mini has a 2.4 GHz Inter Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memory,  NVIDIA GForce 320M 256 MG Graphics.  Running OS X 10.9 (13A603).  I have a Canon scanner and iomega time machine as external devices, besides my printer.
Any ideas?  
Thanks for your help.
Dave Theobald
Burbank, CA

Upgrading to a NEW operating system has several possible gotchas.
Making a backup of the old Operating System partition with SuperDuper is wise.
OR adding a drive, or partition - copying current system to it, and install the New on it.
Macs can have multiple Operating Systems and you can choose which one to boot.

Does my older version of software work?
There are sites that try to answer this. This is one.
OS X Mavericks: Checking App Compatibility

Will my old hardware work?
The peripherals that typically have problems are printers and scanners.
Did the manufacturer spend money to update the driver for a printer they no longer sell?
Check the driver download webpage.
Does the driver included with the New OS work?  Testing is the only option (or posting the question to the Apple Discussions for Mavericks)
Apple Mavericks Discussion
Macintouch Mavericks Discussion

A search for "HP Photosmart 7960 Mavericks" on Apple Discussions did not bring up anything.

There appears to be a driver on the HP site

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.