Macintosh OS/Safari pop up blocker

QUESTION: Do you know how I can access the Safari popup blocker on my Mac sys 10.6? I keep getting these popups when I go to this page
and similar pages at the Garthwaite site. I close the popup and then the screen goes blank while waiting for the reload. It never reloads. I press command R to refresh the page and it does the same thing all over again. I don't experience this problem in Firefox.

ANSWER: Hi, David.  The Pop-up blocker is under the Safari Menu to the left of File in the menu bar.  It's right under Preferences.  I hope that helps you deal with this.  

QUESTION: Right. But "Block pop up windows" is checked, and yet the popups still come. If you look at the webpage I gave you, do you see the popup? - and is it actually a popup or something else? I know it might sound like a dumb question. But it seems that popups should not be appearing if I have blocked them.

David, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I went to the page in both Firefox and Safari and had no difficulty with pop-ups.  I was able to close the pop-ups and keep seeing the screen.  

I think what you might have to do is set the pop-up setting you want, then close all your windows and begin again.  And if that doesn't settle it, then I would quit and restart and see if that makes a difference in how it reads your preferences.

Macintosh OS

Debba Robinson

AppleWorks 6, Systems up to 10.3.5, general trouble-shooting of hardware and some software.

In years past I taught computer K-8 and helped maintain Macs using sytems 7 and 8. Since 2001, I have not been working with computers daily, aside from doing my own work. I dabble in helping people out and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out answers to your problems. Systems 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all in my repertoire now, at various levels of expertise. Please, NO networking questions.