Macintosh OS/macbook black screen

My refurbished laptop is a  Apple Unibody MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo, processor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory - 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. OSX 10.9.1 Maverick.

Is it normal for the macbook to have a high pitched noise followed by a black screen during a firmware update? Iíve been told that once the firmware updates, the screen will come back (restart?). Is this true? The same thing happened (black screen) during another software update.

Thank you

Nope. Black screen isn't normal.

It should look something like this:

The process should be - install firmware, graph fills up, system reboots and notifies you that the firmware has been updated. If you can get your mac to start and you re-run the firmware updater and it reports that your firmware can be updated - likely it didn't work.

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.