Macintosh OS/Writing to Brand New CD-RW with CD-RW Compatible External Drive

QUESTION: I have a Macbook Pro Retina, 13", early 2013, 2.6Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB Memory, OSX 10.8.5 with Samsung SE-208 external optical drive that can write CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL.

The disc is brand new, so the issue isn't with wiping and re-writing.  Disc is rewritable, 24x, 700MB, 80min.  The files I'm trying to write are definitely not 700MB.  I'm getting the errors back: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and "The item “File Name” can’t be moved because “Remote Disc” can’t be modified."  So, I'm guessing the "not readable" part is impacting/causing the "can't be modified" part.  It's strange because I've written Word docs to a brand new CD-RW disc before using the same gear (laptop, external optical drive and brand of CD-RW - they're even from the same package), but for some reason my attempts are failing today.

The reason I am trying to write to CDs is because I recently got a notification that my disc space is running low; I have 30MB free.  I'm guilty of being a "librarian" type, teacher, wellness director and photographer, so I end up save a lot of education and contract documents, as well as photos.  Only two other people have touched my laptop between writing the previous CD-RW and my attempt today 1) An admin trying to help me get my laptop connected to a Ricoh printer at work.  She kept telling me to do things and it became obvious she didn't know what she was doing and I told her no.  She changed something regarding sharing my laptop with other users so we could attempt to view my files from another system that was able to print; I said no because of the proprietary info I have on my laptop, but I'm not sure she listened.  I have no idea what all she touched.  2) Our computer support/tech who did successfully set me up to print to the Ricoh and showed me how I might be able to move documents off my laptop (writing to either an external HD or CD was his suggestion) and he brought up a few docs from Apple Support on the subject.

I haven't done monthly maintenance - this is my first Mac, I used to be PC and was well versed in their system maintenance, but not so much with Mac.  Any suggestions for maintenance would be great so I can do that regularly.

I hope the info I provided is thorough enough to get some help in order to resolve this issue.  Thanks!

ANSWER: You have 30Mb free.
The CD-RW upon insertion tries to create a 700Mb empty folder(diskimage really) to put copies of the files you want to write to the CD-RW.
It can't, thus the error messages.

An external hard drive or flash drive is required - or a server to copy the files to.
A 32Gb Flash Drive holds 45 Cd's of contents. lists the best deals on many things.
Today for NewEgg maillist subcribers you can get a 32Gb flash drive for $18.

Toshiba 32GB Transmemory USB 3.0 Flash Drive for $18 + free shipping
For its newsletter subscribers only, Newegg offers the Toshiba
32GB Transmemory USB 3.0 Flash Drive, model no. PFU032U-1BCK,
for $29.99. Coupon code "EMCWVWX23"cuts the price to *$17.99*.
With *free shipping*, that's $0.56/GB and the lowest total
price we could find by $12. Deal ends December 16.
Click here for updates or to snap up this deal now:

Mac Maintenance

QUESTION: I did try to run a backup to my external hard drive, it's a 750GB Seagate FreeAgent Desktop Hard Drive (HD).  But, my system wanted to wipe everything else off of it before being able to do the backup.  I'm looking for ways to do this san wiping it.  It my main external HD and has backups for all my other external drives and all my previous systems.  Any ideas on how I can just use it as an external drive soI don't have to wipe it or buy a new one?  I've used an app in the past called SyncToy on my PCs (not currently on this Mac) and was able to successfully set the parameters to write new docs to, not sync, the external drive.  Would that be a good option?  Thanks again!

External hard drives are partitioned into one or more partitions.
The partition type is GUID, APM, or MBR.
GUID and APM are Apple partition maps.
MBR is Windows.
The partitions are formatted HTPS+ or NTSF or FAT32 or other.
Macs can write to HTPS+ or FAT32 NOT NTSF.
Windows can write to FAT32 or NTSF NOT HTPS+
It depends on how your hard drive is partitioned and formatted.
Disk Utility is how you do this in OSX (Utilities folder in Applications Folder)

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.