Macintosh OS/Writing to Brand New CD-RW with CD-RW compatible external drive

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, 13", early 2013, 2.6Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB Memory, OSX 10.8.5 with Samsung SE-208 external optical drive that can write CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL.

The disc is brand new, so the issue isn't with wiping and re-writing.  Disc is rewritable, 24x, 700MB, 80min.  The files I'm trying to write are definitely not 700MB.  I'm getting the errors back: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." and "The item “File Name” can’t be moved because “Remote Disc” can’t be modified."  So, I'm guessing the "not readable" part is impacting/causing the "can't be modified" part.  It's strange because I've written Word docs to a brand new CD-RW disc before using the same gear (laptop, external optical drive and brand of CD-RW - they're even from the same package), but for some reason my attempts are failing today.

The reason I am trying to write to CDs is because I recently got a notification that my disc space is running low; I have 30MB free.  I'm guilty of being a "librarian" type, teacher, wellness director and photographer, so I end up save a lot of education and contract documents, as well as photos.  Only two other people have touched my laptop between writing the previous CD-RW and my attempt today 1) An admin trying to help me get my laptop connected to a Ricoh printer at work.  She kept telling me to do things and it became obvious she didn't know what she was doing and I told her no.  She changed something regarding sharing my laptop with other users so we could attempt to view my files from another system that was able to print; I said no because of the proprietary info I have on my laptop, but I'm not sure she listened.  I have no idea what all she touched.  2) Our computer support/tech who did successfully set me up to print to the Ricoh and showed me how I might be able to move documents off my laptop (writing to either an external HD or CD was his suggestion) and he brought up a few docs from Apple Support on the subject.

I hope the info I provided is thorough enough to get some help in order to resolve this issue.  Thanks!

Funny you mention this - I'm having a severe CD/DVD problem right now.

How can I say this. I gave up. I didn't have the time to figure out why 3 different macs weren't writing DVDs last night. It could really be that your Optical drive just went bed.

Meanwhile, I'm a film/video professional - CDs and DVDs have always been a frustration point for me.

And I can tell you - that if you try to clear off a system at CD sizes (700 megs)'ll take forever.

On your system, you really need to get at least 16 gigs free on that system (twice your ram.)  That's going to be some 20+ Cds. and that's just so your mac functions better - not including the free space you need!

Don't do this on a CD or DVD.

For less than $100 you can buy a 2tb hard drive. If you're paranoid (and I'm paranoid) buy two. Duplicate your information. This will be fast (20+ gig should take less than 15 minutes) and have none of the irritation of optical media.  

Macintosh OS

Jeff Greenberg

I can comfortably answer most basic/advanced questions regarding Macintosh hardware and software - nowadays only OSX. In fact, if it's prior to 10.3, there's a good chance I'll reject your question. Forget OS9 stuff - Igave up OS 9 ten years ago). Please do not ask me about OS9. My particular specialties are in Video editing/DVD authoring. I am a certified trainer in the "pro apps" (Final Cut, DVDSP, Soundtrack, Motion). I have been using Macs since 1985.

I'm an Apple Cert. Trainer for FCP, DVD SP, since the inception of this program. I've was
certified as an Apple Cert. Technician back in 1989.

Videography, Macworld, Tibits

BA film- Penn State. Certifications from Apple, Adobe and Avid for training.