Macintosh OS/Safari Causes Excessive Drive Activity

I am using a 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac [2009 model 10,1] with 4GB Ram running OSX 10.6.7 and an external Iomega firewire hard drive [no monthly maintenance].  Whenever I open Safari Version 5.0.5 I get constant disk writing activity to my internal hard drive.  I have tried the various solutions that are offered on Apple's support forums without success.

Example: "excessive HD usage"  

Using the Safari reset menu option also does not work.

However, the problem is completely cured by logging out of the main user account I ordinarily use and logging into a "troubleshooting" account I keep.  I was wondering if it is somehow possible to use or transfer whatever support files, preferences, settings, etc. the troubleshooting account Safari is using; that is, I don't want to have to log into a separate account in order to use Safari without the problem.  I also would like to avoid having to do a clean install of my system in order to recreate whatever supporting folders/files/settings Safari is using while running in the troubleshooting account.

Thank you for any information you may have

If it is confined to your user account, the problem is a damaged plist, installed plugins, damaged caches, or another utility that accesses the internet and is badly programmed or damaged.
Restart in Safe Mode (this does some limited repairs) SHIFT KEY down.

10.6.8 is the most current Snow Leopard (a bug fix) download the Combo Update and install.

I would also install AppleJack and run it. (SL is last supported OSX for AppleJack 10.6)
Dozens of clients have run it monthly since Panther.

I might recommend CCleaner for Mac, but am not sure about it yet. (used the Win ver for a decade)

Maybe run Chrome or Firefox? At least try them, if the problem is limited to Safari, that tells you something.

Open Activity Monitor (utilities folder) this can help diagnosis.
Little Snitch probably will not help, but might.,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.cGE&fp=6c1c709bdab66740&biw=1004&bih=574

My Curated Mac TS page

Macintosh OS

David Anders

Seattle - The Computer Guy - 15 yr veteran Mac/PC/network problem solving. Clients are design firms, artists, freelancers and photographers. PLEASE PLEASE provide EXACT info for Mac Model and OS Version. RAM installed - added cards - external devices - recent changes. Do you do MONTHLY MAINTENANCE? With what Utility? What you have tried and what result do you want.

First computer experience 1969. Worked in 3 computer stores. Setup First Mac and First IBM-PC.