Macintosh OS/Help needed for older mac

I have a Mac OSX 4.1.1(10.4 at any rate) and have a serious problem. Here are further specs:-

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   iMac
 Model Identifier:   iMac6,1
 Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
 Processor Speed:   2.16 GHz
 Number Of Processors:   1
 Total Number Of Cores:   2
 L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
 Memory:   512 MB
 Bus Speed:   667 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:   IM61.0093.B07
 SMC Version:   1.10f3
 Serial Number:   CK70202XXWW

At any rate, up till c. 12 months ago, despite having a far too ancient computer, I few issues with my mac. That is, it sometimes couldn't handle some websites with very specific, complicated software, so it crashed. But that was about it. Then, 6 months ago, youtube videos started slowing down majorly - I would have to wait for several minutes until they could be played to the end, but general Internet-searching was fine and relatively fast still. In the last month or so, though, I have found that youtube videos won't load at all unless I pull the plugs out of my modem for a few minutes, and even then that only allows youtube video playing for 10 minutes or less. I also have found that trying to download any software etc.  takes far too long, and, now, even my Internet-surfing takes ages, too. I thought that my Mac might be infected  with a virus but have been frustrated by the fact that the freeware antiviruses I tried to download turn out to be only compatible with MAC OSX 10.5 or above. Do you know of any freeware antivirus software that is compatible with Mac OSX 10.4?

I have also tried Stellarwipe and Onyx to speed things up and allow youtube video-playing but they have been less and less successful, until, recently, they seem to be hardly effective at all.

Any ideas you may have re this issue would be most welcome. Thanks!

ANSWER: Hi, Geoff,

How much room do you have left on your hard drive?  Have you emptied your trash lately?  Have you zapped your P-RAM?  Sometimes it takes only a restart of your computer to take care of speed issues.  

Let me know the answers to these questions and then I'll see what I can do.

QUESTION: I don't know how to "zap" my Ram! I have already deleted all useless stuff from my hard-drive and trash-bin. Any more suggestions?

ANSWER: OK - what you want to do is tell your computer to restart.  Then, have your fingers on the option - command - p and r keys ... as soon as the screen goes black, hold down those keys.  Your computer should bong - keep holding them down until you hear it bong 5 times.  Then lift them up and let it restart as normal.  That may solve all your problems.

If you don't get your fingers on the keys fast enough the first time, then just try again.  The important thing is that you have them pushed down before your screen starts to light up again.

I have to go out now, but give it a go and then let me know how things run after that.  I will probably not be back on my computer before this evening, but I'll look for news from you as soon as I get home.

Good luck!

QUESTION: Unfortunately, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. I was wondering if  my problem could be modem-related? Would a new modem fix things? Altarnatively, do you know of any antivirus freeware that is compatible with OSX 10.4? Or any mac freeware software, compatible with OSX 10.4, that helps speed up one's Mac?  My mac's low RAM doesn't seem to be the issue as I was able to easily view youtube videos a few months ago with this same computer.

Thanks, Geoff.

Hi, Geoff,

Sorry that didn't work for you.  

Next, try erasing the history / cache on your internet browser.  That is generally accomplished by going to preferences, but if you can't find out how to do it, please let me know.

Also, remove any tools from  your browser tool bar that you don't use regularly.  If you go to your help button and ask how to do those things, it will give you clear instructions.

Here is where you can download free anti-virus software:  If you scroll down to the bottom, you should find your system there.

If you have a good back-up disk, I would encourage you to back everything up on an external drive and then reformatting your hard drive before returning the files to it.  But, that's another issue altogether.

I hope this works for you.

Macintosh OS

Debba Robinson

AppleWorks 6, Systems up to 10.3.5, general trouble-shooting of hardware and some software.

In years past I taught computer K-8 and helped maintain Macs using sytems 7 and 8. Since 2001, I have not been working with computers daily, aside from doing my own work. I dabble in helping people out and enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out answers to your problems. Systems 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all in my repertoire now, at various levels of expertise. Please, NO networking questions.